Boeun belonged to Mahan in the Three Hans Age. But, in the Three Kingdoms Age,as Baekjae (located in the southwestern part of the Korean peninsula) occupied the central part of the peninsula, and Silla (Located in the Southeastern part of the peninsula) was expanding its territory to the north, Boeun became the conflicting border area among three kingdoms.
The Silla dynasty constructed the Samnyeonsan Seong (Samnyeon Mountain Fortress Wall) in the 13th year of maripgan (king) Jabi (AD 470) as its stronghold for its expansion to the north. In the 3rd year of king Jijeung (AD 552), Silla named the area Samnyeonsan gun (county). And, in the 14th year of king Jingheung (AD 552), Silla constructed the Beopjusa temple, in Songnisan mountain to demonstrate its power. The county is renamed to Samnyeon gun in the 16th year of king Gyeongdeok (AD 757).
When the Silla dynasty collapsed and the Koryeo dynasty unified the peninsula again, the county name was changed into Boryeong gun, which belonged to a larger administrative unit, Sangju mok (1018).
In the Joseon dynasty (1392~1910), the county was renamed as Boeun hyeon (a smaller unit than gun) in the 16th year of king Taejong (1416), and the hyeon head was sent from the central government.
In the 16th year of King Taejong (1413), the county was made to belong to Chungcheong province from Sangjoo mok. Its status was raised from hyeon to gun in the 32nd year of king Gojong (1895).
In 1914, during the Japanese Occupation period (1910-1945), Boeun was made to annex parts of neighboring two counties, Hwoein gun and Daedeok gun, leading to have 10 myeons, smaller administrative units.
The Hwoein county was called Migok hyeon when it belonged to the Backjae dynasty. Its name was changed into Maegok in the king Gyeongdeok years of the Unified Silla era, and was made to belong to a prince called Yeonsangun. In the early Koryeo dynasty, its name was changed into Hoein. Then, it came to be part of Cheongju mok in the 9th year of king Hyeonjong (1018), and, later, came under Hoedeok gammu (county head). In the 9th year of king Woo (1383), it was arranged to have its own gammu. In the Joseon dynasty, in the 13th year of king Taejong (1413), it was changed into hyeon, and raised up into gun in the 32nd year of king Gojong.
In 1947, The number of myeons in the Boeun county increased from 10 to 11 by dividing Songni myeon into two myeons ? Nesongni myeon and Oesongni myeon. In 1973, Boeun myeon was upgraded to Boeun eup. The administrative units of the Boeun gun became 1 eup and 10 myeons.
In 2007, by the County Ordinance No 1902 (announced on Aug. 13, 2007), names of some myeons were changed: Nesongni to Songnisan; Oesongri to Jangan; Hwoebuk to Hwoein. Names of 'ri's also were changed: Daemok-ri, Nesongri myeon to Dohwa-ri, Songnisan myeon; Hage-ri, Oesong-ri myeon to Gean-ri, Jangan myeon.
History of Boeun-gun
dtree Hans Age
3rd yr of king Jijeung of Silla (502)
16dt yr of king Gyeongdeok of Silla (757)
9dt yr of king Hyeonjong of Koryeo (1018)
16dt yr of king Taejong of Joseon (1416)
32dt yr of king Gojong (1895)
Boeun gun by Royal Order No 98 (announced on May 26, 1895)
March 1, 1914
Annexed Hoein gun by Joseon Gevornor-General Department Order No 1111
(announced on Dec. 29, 1913)
January 31, 1947
Divided songni myeon into Nesongni myeon and Woesongni myeon by Provincial Order No 36 (announced on Jan. 31, 1947) (11 myeons)
July 1, 1973
Boeun myeon was upgraded to Boeun eup by Presidential Order No 6543
(announced on Mar. 12, 1973). (1 eup, 10 myeons)
February 10, 1982
Moved County Office location from 130 Samsan-ri, Boeun eup to 45 Ipyeong-ri, Boeun eup by County Ordinance No 700 (announced on Feb. 10, 1982).
February 15, 1983
Incorporated Yulsan-ri, Hoebuk myeon into Suhan myeon, and Sechon-ri, Hoebuk myeon into Nebuk myeon by Presidential Order No 11027 (announced on Jan. 10, 1983).
January 1, 1987
Incorporated Jungcho-ri, Sanseong-ri, Noti-ri, Yongam-ri, Bongpyeong-ri, Jangsok-ri of Nebuk myeon into Boeun eup; Noseong-ri, Hoenam myeon into suhan myeon by Presidential Order No 12007 (announced on Dec. 23, 1986).
January 1, 1987
Changed names of Nujeo-ri, Boeun eup, and Myomak-ri, Nesongri myeon into Nucheong-ri and Mansu-ri, respectively by County Ordinance No 980 (announced on Dec. 31, 1986).
January 1, 1989
Yeomti-ri, Hwoenam myeon, and Myoam-ri, Ma-dong 1, 2, and Magu-ri of Hwoebuk myeon were annexed into Cheongwon county by Presidential Order No 12557 (announced on Dec. 31, 1988).
January 1, 1989
Part of Odeok-ri, Anne myeon, Okcheon county was annexed into Wonnam myeon, Samseung myeon by Presidential Order No ((announced on Dec. 31, 1988).
July 15, 1991
Yeomdun-ri, Nebuk myeon, Boeun gun was deleted by County Ordinance No 980
(announced on July 25, 1991).
October 1, 2007
Names of myeons were changed: Nesongni to Songnisan; Oesongri to Jangan; Hwoebuk to Hwoein. Names of 'ri's were changed: Daemok-ri, Nesongri myeon to Dohwa-ri, songnisan myeon; Hage-ri, Oesong-ri myeon to Gean-ri, Jangan myeon, above all by County Ordinance No 1902 (announced on Aug. 13, 2007).